View Single Post
Unread 01/21/2017, 10:54 AM   #211
Aquamechanic
Registered Member

T-Rex

Quote:
I rarely even test the other tank, because just by looking at it I know it's fine, but I still test on occasion. However, my other system I test rigorously. Even with perfect parameters and being relatively slime free, I know something is wrong.

You mentioned that you have a couple tanks going in the same area of your office/ house and that you only have the slime problem occurring in one tank which has very low or immeasurable NO3 and PO4 levels.

How are the PO4 and NO3 levels in the aquarium(s) that are not effected?

My thought is, that in the presence of measurable nutrients, the carbon dosing effect that may be occurring by whatever means (ISO-propal alcohol) in all of your aquariums, does not produce an overload of bacteria (slime) in the tanks with higher nutrients and therefore is dismissed as 'not happening' in those tanks.

This assumes of course that the carbon source is being introduced environmentally which I realize is still just conjecture.

Without spending the day reading back posts, I wonder if anyone who is/ has been experiencing this particular 'slime anomaly' has higher ongoing nutrient levels (NO3 > 5 ppm and PO4 >0.1 ppm - for example)

One other variable that was occurring with my subject setup BEFORE the slime started was I introduced GFO in the system to bring down PO4 from high levels (around 1ppm).
Could be coincidental timing or maybe I triggered the slime startup by cleaning up the tank in the presence of an ongoing carbon source.

Food for thought?

Aquamechanic is offline   Reply With Quote