View Single Post
Unread 07/04/2012, 05:12 PM   #154
Helfrichs Chic
Registered Member

This is an AWESOME thread! Scary but thats a good thing, I think.
I have a couple questions for all of you experts:

Regarding sleepiness after a dive/snuba.
Ive done like 6 discover scuba dives (kinda pointless to have not just done cert. I know) and 3 snuba dives mainly the Caribbean and most recently in Cabo. Ive read and read and can not find any information on why I get completely exhausted after a dive.... and I don't mean take a nap tired, I mean SLEEP hard for 8-10 hours. About an hour after a few of these trips I can't keep my eyes open and I just have to sleep waking up HOURS later and still feeling groggy. This happened recently on a Cruise to Cabo, just last month. I thought maybe it was just me, or maybe it was the cold water, maybe some reaction to the air but I took three buddies (only one of which, has ever had a regulator in his mouth) to do snuba and we all were literally comatose afterwards. Do places like Mexico, and such use a different mix, or???? I don't remember having this problem during several dives in Catalina, or Hawaii but I distinctly remember it in Belize and Cabo and I think in the bahamas. Is snuba air different?

I would blame it on the thrashing around, that newb divers often do, but I am VERY comfortable, kinda feels "right" when I am under the water. I don't swim with my hands, am very calm even after seeing a 9ft tiger cruise right by me in Hawaii lol. Actually in Cabo I was doing a better job than the dive instructor of keeping an eye on my buddies and OK-ing them every 30 seconds, and it was only snuba.

After all of the trips to the Caribbean from AZ, my boyfriend and I have decided to move to the USVI. We are going for a month starting in just a few days, for our pre move visit. Originally I wanted to get certified while we are there, but after reading on the comprehensiveness of some places I am a bit worried. I don't want a crash course and then tossed in the water lol. I think I am a leg up with being so comfortable breathing underwater but I need the skills/training now.

My boyfriend is MUCH less comfortable under the waves than I am, he flails and sucks down air like crazy for at least the first 5 min. Once he chills out: which usually requiers me grabbing his face looking into his mask and giving him a sort of "calm down" hand movement lol, he is fine.

I just hope that we get the training that we need/deserve.

Last edited by Helfrichs Chic; 07/04/2012 at 05:20 PM.
Helfrichs Chic is offline   Reply With Quote