View Single Post
Unread 04/19/2018, 09:25 AM   #89
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilp2006 View Post
This build looks awesome!! Great attention to detail.

Your exhaust fan is 80 cfm- Is this going to be sufficient for the space (120sqft)? . I’d planned to use a 6” 400 cfm for my 88sqft room, with a plan of slowing it down to reduce noise and still get effective venting. But now I’m thinking that might be way overkill .

Also- any concerns with running all your wiring in the wall?

Again- awesome build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When it comes to exhaust fans it's not square feet that you concern yourself with, it's cubic feet. Although you may see a fan rated for sq ft, they're just taking into account that the common room height is 8'. My room is under the stairs and there's also a section that is only 6.5 feet tall, needless to say the ceiling heights vary, I do have the math that I used to calculate the fan size. I had to break the room up in sections to get a more accurate calculation. My total cubic feet of the room is 732 cu ft, I used this calculation to size the fan
I needed.

Quote:
If your bathroom has a higher ceiling, multiply the width x length x height of the room, divide by 60 (minutes in an hour) then multiply by 8 (number of air exchanges per hour). For example, a 10′ wide by 15′ long bathroom with a 10′ ceiling would need:

10x15x10 = 1500
1500 ÷ 60 = 25
25×8 = 200 CFM rated vent fan
Using that formula, I calculated that the right size exhaust fan would be a 97.6 CFM. The standard for exhaust fans are that you typically want to exchange the room volume 8 times an hour, with an 80 CFM fan I will be exchanging the room volume 6.55 times an hour.

To answer your question, yes it's smaller than required, but not as much as you might have thought. When I sealed the tile/grout I closed the door and turned the fan on, the fan worked so well that when I was standing outside the door I couldn't smell the strong odor. I can live with 1.45 times less air exchange than what's considered the standard

Assuming that you're 88 sq ft room has 8 ft ceilings that 400 cfm will exchange your room volume 34.09 times an hour. that's a lot. based on the calculation above, your room only requires a 93.87 cfm exhaust fan. Although, I like your approach. Having the ability to set the fan speed is a good idea.

As far as running wires in the walls, I'm not too concerned, before I hung sheet rock, I verified that all connections worked by placing the apex in various locations and sending signals to devices. In the future, if something were to happen to one of these connections, I ran extra cable to all locations for future expansion and/or just in case one of those other cables fail. It definitely is a risk to put everything behind the wall but I'm hoping for the best that everything will work out and I set countermeasures on place just in case.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote