View Single Post
Unread 03/27/2012, 07:03 PM   #12
EddieJ
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prop-frags View Post
Sorry to hear about your outbreak, but good to see that you are taking action to save your animals! You may have already, but read about some alternatives to hypo, such as quinine sulfate - this is an interesting thread here that will give other things to think about while you conduct your treatment.
I did read about that during my research. Seemed not as tested or well known as the other methods. I guess it's like everything else in the hobby, always nine ways to accomplish the same thing. I also read a good article on the other benefits of Hypo Salinity therapy on marine fish besides the treatment of ich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTuskfish View Post
Good luck, and keep us posted. I'd get an ammonia alert too. The foam filters should handle ammonia if they were seeded long enough in an established tank. You have a lot of water volume, but (IMO) not enough to adequately dilute the ammonia that will be produced over 10-12 weeks. I'd plan frequent WCs. Hopefully all will go well and your experience will help someone else. I part of the huge group that went through the same thing....never again.
I have a new Salifert Ammonia test kit I plan on using. I guess it sure wouldn't hurt to have one of those as well. I plan on a WC every 2-3 days to keep things in line. I read that when you reach 1.009 the biological filter is pretty much worthless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanW View Post
I did everything you are doing twice...10 weeks the 1st time, and 12 the second, and added fish slowly back into the tank, all of which were symptom free of any parasite after they were QT'd...I'd go fallow for at least 12 weeks or more if you have the patience. Nothing worse than having to do it twice.
So your thought was that the ich parasites survived with no host in your DT for 10 weeks? I was thinking 10 weeks pretty much put you at the 100 percent mark as in total ich kill off.

EddieJ is offline   Reply With Quote