View Single Post
Unread 05/13/2018, 12:27 AM   #15
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
Very nice job!

Sure is a bit nerve-racking that first time isn't it???

And then by the 3rd or 4th hole you're an expert!

More pics as it all comes together please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbe147 View Post
Looks great! Well done! Keep us up to date as you get things set up.
Thank you both. I love seeing the tank come together and the and really enjoy the work that goes into making it.

I did make a little more progress today. After I was done drilling the tank I repainted the back and let it dry for most of the day. While waiting for the paint to dry, I went to the hardware store and got materials to work on the plumbing. I have started to dry fit everything but I failed to get any 1" fittings for the drains. I have most of the return plumbing completed, just need to get a hose barb to connect between the pump and PVC.

I also picked up a 36"x18" shelf unit. It fits the tank PERFECTLY and I think it will work nicely as an inexpensive stand. Each shelf is rated to 600lbs, which is much more weight than will be on them. I will be making some sort of panels to cover the stand. I am considering a faux brick wall panel that I saw at the hardware store. I could easily mount it to the stand and I think it would be a nice look.

Finally, I stopped by the LFS and picked up a 20L tank that will serve as my sump. I am still deciding whether to just make my own baffles, or purchase a ready made set. I am leaning toward the Fiji Reef Baffle kit. I like the layout they have and the kit is only about $100, I think it would cost me just as much to make my own, and I doubt it would be as good.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180512_194256_resized.jpg (51.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 20180512_194744_resized.jpg (40.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 20180512_194750_resized.jpg (83.2 KB, 54 views)