Thread: Weeds
View Single Post
Unread 06/27/2018, 03:08 PM   #61
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
It really takes a committed effort to grow plants. So far, you have not had much luck with plants. What do you plan to do differently?
The smaller tank was supposed to be a "holding tank" for newly collected fish that turned into a display tank. I set up the tank, cycled it, then dumped the fish in. Then, I started adding plants and other critters as I collected them. It was kind of like I was trying to get to the correct end but after I had already set up a fish only tank. Once I break this tank down and move everything to the final display, then I will set this tank up again for a species tank (maybe seahorses, pipefish, or sticklebacks), or maybe just use it as a grow out tank for fish fry...

For the big tank, I'll start with the plants, mud, live sand (to seed store bought sand that I have sitting in my basement). Once I'm happy with that, then I'll add more critters and fish. During my first attempt, my hope was that the high fish bioload would supply enough nutrients for the macros to thrive. Instead, cyano and hair algae ruled the roost, because they were introduced, perhaps? So, in my big tank, I will have to dose the nutrients. Also, I will introduce the macros to the tank immediately as the tank cycles. Maybe that will outcompete the nasties. Another difference, as I said before, is much better lighting. After the tank sits fallow and the food chain is established, then I'll add the fish last. Sounds almost like your plan! I wonder where I got those ideas

I've always wanted my blenny oyster reef tank. But, when I started this venture years ago, it evolved over time to a desire to set up an entire ecosystem.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote