View Single Post
Unread 02/04/2010, 12:18 PM   #42
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by techreef View Post
wow. You have serious planning and project management chops to pull off this kind of tank move in such a tight window of time. I am in awe. In all seriousness, do you do event planning or engineering as your profession? The thought of having a 480G tank in transit to a home I still didn't officially own makes me break out in a cold sweat. Or maybe that's the fatalist Murphy-driven Jersey resident in me talking.

This is a terrific thread, and I'm learning a lot from your description of your thought processes regarding upgrading everything. Thanks!
The move was only a few blocks. It was timed to coincide with the closing of escrow. The company that built the tank was close by as well so they were able to pick it up from the old house, polish it and and bring it to the new house within a pre determined time frame. Since the system was already setup at the old place, it was simply a matter of transferring everything and reconnecting it all. The biggest burden was on my carpinter but we had that all figured out in advance as it was planned out during escrow.

Im a technology guy. I run a computer and data storage business that caters to film and post as well as military and aerospace. My primary focus is on system design. Our systems are very high end and range from around $10K up to well over $50K. In the film and post side they are used for visual effect and color grading of uncompressed high resolution (2K & 4K) content. We pack them full of all kinds of expenive stuff.. The graphics cards alone are several thousand dollars. Everything is custom starting with the chassis. Movies such as Flags of Our Fathers, Superman returns, SpiderMan, Speed Racer, Transformers and many more used our hardware in conjunction with 3rd party software in various part of the finishing process.

Here are a couple pictures of some of my chassis designs. Due to the size of some of these cards and the number of cards that go into some of these systems, I designed our chassis with 10 card slots so we can relocate cards. We even use sealed liquid cooling on some of the systems to free up space inside.

I think I damn near derailed my own topic..

Stay tuned. The sumps will be done soon. I plan on laying them out on my floor, taping off the floor to mark where walls and studs would be under the tank. I will build the plumbing for the new sumps using the taped of area on my floor for reference. This will all be done prior to installing them. The morning this will go down, I will shut the return pump, skimmer pump and recirc pump off, remove the pumps and sump and let the carpinter do his job. The plan will be as little downtime as possible when we swap the new sumps in. Again, the biggest burden will fall on my carpinter as I am having him remove the drywall under the tank. It will be replaced with sound proof drywall. A pond liner on the floor which will go up the wall and then we will add a layer of FRP to finish it off. All that will need to be done within a handful of hours so the sumps can go in the same day. Everything will be on hand and ready to go in advance to insure that it goes without a hitch. The goal is 8 hours from start to finish. The sumps and plumbing will be the easy part since it will all be layed out and ready to install well in advance.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 02/04/2010 at 12:33 PM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote