View Single Post
Unread 01/12/2017, 09:01 AM   #16
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lydon View Post
I'm using 100% solids epoxy, with enough build to eliminate any grain. It's food grade safe material, for potable water reservoir containers. IE inside of water towers, etc.

With that said, I'm going to go with the 2 sheets of plywood retaining method for the bottom. Where the upper piece of plywood is just smaller than the base, by the thickness of the glass. Followed up by securing an outer frame to the base.

I'm thinking of going a step further, and coming up with a way to make this aquarium rimless. It's 1" glass with beveled polished edges. Would be nice to see it. 33" tall glass, with 30" of water. Worst case scenario, I brace the top.

Hydrostatic pressure at 30" of water, is 15psi + whatever the powerheads create. 1" glass has a safety factor of 5, at this water level, with that 84" span.

The problem with going rimless, is, the bond strength to the epoxy on the back wall. In what way can I secure/reinforce that bond, without being obstructive to the front of the tank?

I was thinking euro braces on all 4 top corners. Triangle shaped, reaching maybe 6" out from the corners.

Also considering a glass euro brace on the outside of the tank. Maybe a 10x33" piece of glass, coming 6" out with full contact onto the side of the tank, and 4" behind/beyond with full contact to a 2x4 coated in 100% solids epoxy. That's a lot of surface area of bonding/contact.

Tell me if I'm crazy, please don't call me stupid. (you can do that if I post photos of what 400 gallons of water looks like on the floor) Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Cheers
Sounds like a great build. My plywood tank is now many years in the past, so I'll be following along with great interest. I'm a charter member of 'overbuilders annonymous' so things that make me nervous don't others. If me, I'd def go with the full eurobrace.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote