View Single Post
Unread 06/12/2017, 05:28 AM   #400
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Bill, the current can be treacherous between tides, especially near the ends of the islands where the tidal flow wraps around. We try to make low tide or high tide the middle of our snorkel time if we are working an area like that. Out from shore or on the lee side (away from the tidal flow direction) there is far less current. You have a boat? There is a boat ramp at the very end of the Seven Mile Bridge and just 1/4 mile to the north east is Little Money Key. The entire north side of the island is fun to snorkel, especially in near shore over toward the dock and even under it.

I'll be VERY interested in reading what you have to say about the area out from Sombrero Beach. The shallows off to the south west and the small island (West Washer Woman Key I think?) out there have our interest as well. We were going to go there last trip by the oceanside of the Keys was just too rough. And you are right, emerald crabs are very green (or ruby red) and they don't have black tips to their claws.

We'll also be interested to read what you have to say about the coral reef research center. We are unfamiliar with it... unless it's the Mote Research facility. Our club did a tour there some years ago in conjunction with our annual Keys field trip. Unfortunately, we were unable to participate that year due to work schedules.

Thanks a ton for any info. We are always looking for new possibilities. BTW, if you are down in that area, you might look for the No Name Pub (good lunch spot... or even dinner) and over the bridge to the east you can look for Key deer. The one time we did it there were 3 of them feeding right at the side of the road. They see a lot of tourists and didn't seem very skittish.

Have fun!

Last edited by Ron Reefman; 06/12/2017 at 05:33 AM.
Ron Reefman is offline   Reply With Quote