View Single Post
Unread 01/12/2011, 09:16 AM   #28
Orcrone
Registered Member

Number of fish in a QT

Reading through this thread again I have a couple of other comments. If you're quarantining fish because they have the same malady then it's OK to quarantine & treat them in the same tank. However, if you're bringing home new fish for your DT I'd recommend against that. The idea of a QT in that case is to observe the fish and TREAT them in the tank if there's any issues. If you put two fish in a QT then you'd have to treat them both if only one fish has a problem. And what happens if they get more than one malady; one gets a fungal and the other gets a bacterial infection.

Also, I have to agree with RBU1 about 2 weeks begin too short a period to quarantine new specimens. I think specifically of ich. The life cycle of the parasite is such that the fish can have ich but not show signs during that two week period. Also invertebrates, although not susceptable to ich, can arrive with the parasite in the water. Two weeks would not be long enough for the parasites to die off because of no host. I prefer six weeks to quarantine new specimens. JMHO

Orcrone is offline   Reply With Quote