View Single Post
Unread 05/04/2007, 12:24 AM   #37
jsl6v8
Registered Member

Wow this is some great info, I didn't know any clams would be ok in VHO, I might consider getting one for my 125 gal and put it at the top now. I just got my first clams, a derasa and a crocea for my 20 gallon (the derasa isn't to big for it yet but may be later in which case by then my 90 should be clam ready). I run a 150W viper on my 20g I believe they are 14k bulbs but it looks more white than anything else but I'll be moving to a 10k when I get ready to change this one out. Both of the clams to the best of my knowledge are doing FANTASTIC although i got a little pygmy angel in there who i'm trying to get out, hasn't bothered anything yet but I'm not going to wait for him to get bored.
Solaris- my local fish store has a 20" one over a zero-edge tank (fantastic tank and light) and they have some clams in there and they look fantastic and they seem to be getting good growth on all sorts of corals and the clams with it, I was thinking about it and really if you ahve the start up capital the solaris is a good deal I mean what is it 80bucks or so for a new MH bulb x10 years 800 bucks ballast and fixture start up you are banking near 1100-1200 and then the probably that you will have to replace the ballast at least once in there, but I'm with everyone else on waiting for a cheaper version, I hear PFO is making a cheaper one without all the fancy cloud effects and other programming to launch later this year.
Only a suggestion but it might be worth it to mention if the clams would do better on rock or sand, for instance i understand my derasa prefers to be in the sand while the crocea should be placed on a rock for it to hold onto.
Off topic a bit, but why the heck are black and white maximas so expensive, everywhere I've seen they sell for like 350ish.

Current Tank Info: 120 reef 4VHO,90 reef 2x250mh 4 vho, 55reef 150HQI, 37 reef PC, 20 QT, 47 Fresh
jsl6v8 is offline   Reply With Quote