View Single Post
Unread 08/08/2018, 07:05 PM   #1
Playapixie
Registered Member

help: what happened to this chromi?

Help! One of my green chromis looks like he has been in a major battle. There is a huge chunk missing from his forehead and a large gash up and down on his right side. It really looks more like injuries than any kind of parasite I’ve ever seen. It looks like he’s either been mauled by another creature, or caught in a blade, but the only moving thing in the tank is a vortec MP10, and I’ve never witnessed aggression between my fishes or inverts (1 clown, 1 watchman goby& Randall pistol shrimp pair, 1 tailapot blenny, 3 chromis, two different cleaner shrimp, porcelain crabs, small hermit crabs.) I’ve heard of chromis beating eachother up but I’ve never seen mine pick on eachother. The chromis have been in the tank 4 months and all of the other fish have been residents for years. There are no other signs of illness.

The best way to describe it is like something took a chunk out of his head and another chunk (or laceration) on his side. The tissues on the injuries appear to be sloughing somewhat, but are not especially discolored except pale. The uninjured parts of him look fine.

The fish is swimming in the open and schooling and acting mostly normal except he doesn’t seem to eat. He acts interested like the others but doesn’t even try to eat. Otherwise he isn’t behaving bothered or abnormal at all.

He was last seen normals 2-3 days ago (I’ve been gone during the days so haven’t had a close look in the tank for a couple days.) These fish are routinely fed 3 small meals a day.

This is a well-established and very healthy 32 gallon mixed reef.
Nitrate 3-4 and extremely stable for years. Ca 425, alk 10, mag 1350, all three are on dosing pumps and stable. This tank is well maintained and nurtured.

Any idea what this is? Does it sound like any kind of illness or parasite? Or what could have injured him? Treatment?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9100.jpg (51.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9099.jpg (57.8 KB, 10 views)
Playapixie is offline   Reply With Quote