View Single Post
Unread 10/01/2008, 08:17 AM   #662
asnatlas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcliffy2
Also, the plan looks great, but have you thought about doing it open top? The convenience is great, it helps with ventilation, helps with cooling the tank, and IMO it looks nice. If your stand + tank is 72", no one under 6'6" would be able to see into fish room, so the rooms would still feel seperate.

One other thought...and I'm going against my own rule that I hate when people always suggest whats worked for them, but the room setup looks perfect to wrap your tank in a bar. I have found the granite bar to be awesome from a functional standpoint. I don't have to worry about water spill, I can pull corals out and do the fragging right there, and best its a great platform for working on the tank, I just hop on up and have a birds eye view.
The top will be open to the fishroom. At the old house I had it against a wall with all the equipment behind a wall and there was to much humidity... Even with a vent fan in the fish room... Granted I didn't get 100% finished with that project before other things came up like the split and relocating for work... I told myself that the next time I did a large system it would totally closed off and vented outside... Also I want to hide the lighting as it will not be anything fancy. Just some L3s and T5s on a custom light rake that I will have on a rail system...

I was thinking about placing a larger "lip/bar" around the tank but I only have a 26.5" space from the glass to the outside wall. It just seems like it would be a bit cramped... I am thinking about having a catwalk on the back to make access to the tank much easier...