View Single Post
Unread 12/28/2009, 12:11 AM   #3
solos2
Moved On

According to the FAQ I've read from Wet Web Media, this type of parasite is a copepod and it only affect certain species, (in this case, firefish). I've another red firefish in my tank so I'm a bit worried, however the FAQ also pointed out that the parasitic copepod "likely has a "complex" life cycle... requiring the presence of at least another intermediary organism (which is highly likely not present)"

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/drtfshdisfaqs.htm

Another source where I've read, it indicates that this parasite will eventually "suck" the host dry, from blood to body tissue to organ tissue, until the host can't sustain on what's left on the body, then the copepod will burrow into the substrate and lay some 200 eggs.

Yet another source says any successful parasite will not kill its host but to use it for as long as it could as a living "food bank".

The only way it seems that I could help my fish is to try and gingerly operate on the fish, as indicated by WWM, while inside the net under water, with a pair of tweezers.

But as it is, there's no way I could get the fish out without tearing down my entire reef, so at this point I feel pretty much helpless, keeping my fingers crossed and hope that my cleaner shrimps / six line wrasse will somehow grow a taste on that parasite.

I'd appreciate anyone who have experience dealing with this type of parasitic copepod before post your experience here and help rescue my little friend.

solos2 is offline   Reply With Quote