View Single Post
Unread 02/24/2018, 09:33 AM   #9
JDT1234
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefiez View Post
grab another set of test kits imo, salifert should be good. it's a small cost, but it will give you more comfort that your RS test kits are reading well.

how are you measuring your salinity? a refractometer? or a hydrometer? large temperature difference between your salt mix water and your tank water could have an impact on your readings.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/index.php

anyways, your parameters are very unlikely to be the cause of fish death though, although the 100ml 2 part dosing with a low coral load seems really suspect. i've got a reefer 525 with a medium high coral load (100+ lps, sps frags/colonies) and i am only dosing 60ml a day.

if it were me, i'd stop water changes until i get another set of test kits to double confirm. also toss in an ammonia test kit just to rule ammonia out too.
Getting another test kit isn't a problem, but just want to point out earlier in the thread that I am using the same test kit for both my fresh batch of salt water and the tank water. Fresh batch using the same kit tests out like it is supposed to. Using same kit to test tank readings are low ????? They should be the same or close.

I'm stopping my my LFS today and will bring water samples from both and see what he comes up with.

Yeah, my dosing was way out of line but my kits keep telling me to add......so I did.

Using refractometer. I just checked my fresh water and it is only 3* less than my tank water.

It is hard for me to move forward until I have an understanding of why my water is not matching up with the specs on the pail of salt. I should be getting readings of MG 1340, CA 440 ALK 12.2 and you can see in the above thread what I am getting.

Maybe my tank is just going to run like that and I'm ok with it. I'll find corals that thrive in those conditions. All I want out of the tank is a nice soothing presentation with some movement and color....plus fish....and I'm good.

But it still doesn't explain the almost immediate drop in readings from a new batch of salt added directly into an aquarium full of new water.

JDT1234 is offline   Reply With Quote