Thread: Weeds
View Single Post
Unread 07/17/2019, 12:08 PM   #994
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Kevin!

Unfortunately, one of the damsels died today. It never looked good, so it wasn't too surprising. The other two look great and are eating well, so I'm hopeful. I am determined to get my QT situation resolved and working properly.

With the petticoat algae dieback, several Botriocladia plants were revealed. The petticoat is already bouncing back too, so no permanent harm done. There are so many red macros growing from the live rock! As they grow taller and fuller, it's really looking good!

One of the things I hoped to accomplish with the iron dose, was to improve the red coloring of the red macros, particularly the botriocladia. I saw only a marginal improvement, if any. Is it possible they're getting too much light? It seems doubtful. I have a supplemental CFL bulb over the right end of the tank I could turn off. I suspect another trace element nutrient is lacking. Iodine? Magnesium? Suggestions anyone? In v1, dosing iron always did the trick.

I dosed a little ammonia yesterday, to help spur growth in the grasses and macros. I'm seeing more signs the Manatee Grass is coming back, with more new shoots visible.

I finally saw my new emerald crab, Mister Crabs, today. He was riding Seymore, the cucumber, and eating things off his skin. I really hope he finds the green bubble algae soon. I've yet to see my new peppermint shrimp, Han Solo II. I spotted an aiptasia anemone, so he needs to report for duty.

I'm seeing more new life on the live rock. Sponges, feather dusters, and even a few Ricordia mushrooms (I think). Both of the caulerpas are growing well. Going forward, I will refer to them as 'feather' (Caulerpa sertulariodes) and 'fern' (C. mexicana). The new Maiden's hair looks happy, swaying in the back and forth current. Hopefully it will find the conditions suitable and begin climbing the back wall.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote