View Single Post
Unread 06/11/2009, 02:25 PM   #52
Murph72
Registered Member

Unfortunately the Bloom High tank project suffered a huge loss this past week. A janitor, who was truly trying to be helpful, set up a float system. Over this past weekend the system failed and the tank was inundated with fresh R/O water. The salinity plummeted and we lost nearly all of our coral. The fish survived unscathed (as fish often do), but almost all the coral is gone.

It was a sad sight to see. One leather coral was absolutely black, while most coral was just gone. The smell in the science room was putrid. After several water changes, the bio teacher has the tank smelling better and the parameters back on the way towards normal. I'm just bummed we lost all that coral. Even the giant anemones seem to have disappeared. The only thing good that came out of it was that we had a small flatworm problem in the one corner that I was concerned about that has also disappeared.

I have several large pink anemones with green tips that I plan on taking into the tank when it is established, but I currently don't have any extra roses. Hopefully mine will split in the near future as that was a favorite of the kids.

There are a couple of small leathers that are probably from the one large leather Sanjay donated that look like they may have survived. Hopefully there are more survivors, but we're just not seeing it right now.

Murph72 is offline   Reply With Quote