View Single Post
Unread 03/06/2018, 04:12 PM   #9
~RuSh~
Registered Member

Plumbing. Historically not my greatest strength. But I gotta say guys this glass holes all in one kit makes things really easy. (www.glass-holes.com) The kit I ordered came with the overflow box, the bulkhead threads, gaskets and street elbow, and black vinyl tubing to go from the PVC elbow to your sump. Obviously it comes with the diamond coated hole saw (sized exactly for your particular setup) and a template that you can use to help guide you in drilling. Glass holes has a few videos on drilling on their website as well if you haven't done it before and those are helpful.

So I started by placing the overflow box in the tank and just eyeballing where I wanted it to be. I then matched the hole to the overflow box with the template on the outside which I then duct taped in place. I used a squirt bottle with some water to spray the glass and hole saw as I drilled to keep the glass cool. I went slow and honestly didn't apply that much pressure to the tank as I drilled. 90 seconds or so and we popped through.

As you can see, there are some small chips of glass that occur on the inside of the tank while drilling and that is normal. No bid deal. The gaskets cover those up nicely.

I dry fit everything first to make sure I had all my components and then went ahead and cut my tubing to fit and lubed the gaskets and applied pvc paste to my threaded pvc joints. Make sure to snug everything by hand, and don't over tighten. You want your gaskets to be able to flex a bit and over tightening inhibits this and can also cause the bulkheads to crack, since the threads are tapered.

I let everything dry overnight and gave it a water test this morning utilizing the sump (sans baffles). Perfect! Cutting the baffles tomorrow hopefully, getting some paint on the stand and then it will be time for sand and rock.