View Single Post
Unread 02/03/2014, 11:14 PM   #2
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandoftiki View Post
I've been doing a lot of wondering as of late about shell rot and water parameters and stability and if there's any correlation.

Does anybody know of any further information about specific water parameter that contribute to or help prevent shell rot?

As has been mentioned, a number of people, myself included have been successfully keeping shell rot prone species in lighted tanks (coincidentally tanks with happy healthy and colorful SPS corals). I wonder how much of that has to do with water parameter stability, or lack of certain things like nitrates and phosphates? We already know nitrates are bad, but are phosphates equally problematic for proper shell calcification? They certainly affect SPS corals. Maybe phosphates are more damaging than we currently imagine?

What about alkalinity, calcium and magnesium? As we all know, keeping stable alkalinity, and calcium levels are paramount to ideal SPS growth and coloration. Does the same hold true to the mantis shrimp's shell?

What about diet? Vitamin supplement, amino acids, Omega 3's, etc. It helps in preventing diseases in fish. Why not inverts? A certain form of copper is included in some freshwater shrimp foods, but it's poisonous in different environmental forms.

Anyhow, I'd like opinions and any truly known facts in this respect.
But I think that is the very problem...we simply do not know enough outside, Light and Water Quality...I remember asking Dr.Caldwell about this specifically 'what constitues good water quality to prevent shell rot?'

If we knew the answer to that we would likely be ontop of the Shell Rot disease...