View Single Post
Unread 08/16/2018, 06:50 AM   #2524
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

Dennis,
I was in search of some Radion Lighting information, and I was directed to this thread, which after many unproductive days at work, I read end to end! Fantastic read, great attention to detail.

What brought me here is I recently upgraded my 80 to a 120. The 80 ran "Old School", (2) 250wDE MH 14K Phoenix, 2 54w T5's, CaRx, Kalk Reactor, UV, Ozone, bare bottom, no refugium. I had great success. The 120 would be the same, only this time I would "Fix" what I didn't like about the set-up. After much research, and going back and forth, I decided to ditch the MH/T-5 in favor of the new Radion XR30-G4 Pro. So I picked up (3). I'm running them end to end over a 48x24x24 tank with a center brace. These are controlled by APEX, running the AB+ program. I started at 40% for (2) hrs/day then slowly worked my way up to 75% and (6) hrs/day. Corals were looking good. I saw the video about the diffusers, so I pick them up. No changes were made to the lighting schedule to compensate for the reduced output that was claimed to be 15-20%. In the weeks following installation, I noticed the corals not looking so good. Water parameters same as prior to the diffusers. I few corals STN'ed, (2) Favias lost color, a Bird's Nest was turning brown. I read that shortly after you added the diffusers you had some issues also. So this past week, I have removed the diffusers, lowered the intensity to 50% to see if that helps. I did pick up an Apogee SQ-520 to get some idea what the PAR is. It's on this weekends To Do List.

So this brings me to my post, I have a couple of questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
After speaking with Ecotech and discussing their new DLI findings along with my light schedule and intensity and low nutrient system, I decided to lower the light intensity a little bit. But that was after these pics were taken. I also need to start feeding more. I haven't been feeding the tank anything specifically for the coral and other than the tang, most of my fish are small. Will see if the colors intensify at all.

Thanks!
Is this something other than what's in the Coral Lab Paper they did in conjunction with WWC? Since the data was based on them using G3 Pro's I would love to see Ecotech update the paper with the new G4 Pro's both without/with the diffusers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Finally got the Radion Diffusers installed!

Honestly, it's not that much different than before. Still plenty of shimmer. And not much loss in light. I have a hand held photography light meter than can measure LUX and I'm recording only a 3-5% loss. The tank looks very evenly lit with very little shadowing. I'd say it's a very subtle but nice upgrade.

Also, I kind of like not seeing those individual led domes on the pucks.
Looks more finished IMO.
With no change to before and after settings, have you had a chance to get new PAR readings?

Also in one of your posts, you had a Youtube link on how to photograph a reef tank. I can't seem to locate it. Can you please share that again, thanks.

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Member No. 1 is offline   Reply With Quote