View Single Post
Unread 08/16/2018, 08:25 AM   #2525
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Member No. 1 View Post
Dennis,
I was in search of some Radion Lighting information, and I was directed to this thread, which after many unproductive days at work, I read end to end! Fantastic read, great attention to detail.

What brought me here is I recently upgraded my 80 to a 120. The 80 ran "Old School", (2) 250wDE MH 14K Phoenix, 2 54w T5's, CaRx, Kalk Reactor, UV, Ozone, bare bottom, no refugium. I had great success. The 120 would be the same, only this time I would "Fix" what I didn't like about the set-up. After much research, and going back and forth, I decided to ditch the MH/T-5 in favor of the new Radion XR30-G4 Pro. So I picked up (3). I'm running them end to end over a 48x24x24 tank with a center brace. These are controlled by APEX, running the AB+ program. I started at 40% for (2) hrs/day then slowly worked my way up to 75% and (6) hrs/day. Corals were looking good. I saw the video about the diffusers, so I pick them up. No changes were made to the lighting schedule to compensate for the reduced output that was claimed to be 15-20%. In the weeks following installation, I noticed the corals not looking so good. Water parameters same as prior to the diffusers. I few corals STN'ed, (2) Favias lost color, a Bird's Nest was turning brown. I read that shortly after you added the diffusers you had some issues also. So this past week, I have removed the diffusers, lowered the intensity to 50% to see if that helps. I did pick up an Apogee SQ-520 to get some idea what the PAR is. It's on this weekends To Do List.

So this brings me to my post, I have a couple of questions.

Is this something other than what's in the Coral Lab Paper they did in conjunction with WWC? Since the data was based on them using G3 Pro's I would love to see Ecotech update the paper with the new G4 Pro's both without/with the diffusers.

With no change to before and after settings, have you had a chance to get new PAR readings?

Also in one of your posts, you had a Youtube link on how to photograph a reef tank. I can't seem to locate it. Can you please share that again, thanks.
Thanks!

The coral lab paper was done years ago. Their new findings on DLI have been talked about here and there in youtube vids. I don't know of any updates to the original paper.

The issue I had with some of my coral ended up being a salinity issue. Probe was off calibration and my salt levels went through the roof. Once I got that under control everything bounced back. Tank is looking good, diffusers are still installed. It's hard for me to get my hands on a par meter so no, I haven't updated. I just increased my intensity a bit after adding the diffusers. The diffusers are just blending the color channels better and creating a more even spread of light. Other than intensity, there should be no effect on your coral.

The youtube vid I put together was for processing your pics in lightroom.
Here it is...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH6ngLb4XL4

Speaking of vids... here is a new vid of tumbling Dragon's Breath macro in my fuge.

https://youtu.be/DfUD5a8LObI

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote