View Single Post
Unread 03/05/2014, 09:09 PM   #164
Dave & Monica
Registered Member

Packaging Corals:

Option 1 and 2 – Affix plug to specimen cup (2 different methods)
http://www.michiganreefers.com/forum...nd-corals.html

Option 3 – Rubber Band Bags
http://www.practicalcoralfarming.com/shipping.html If you like this method, buy their book

Shipping Strategies
Purpose: To have the corals the least amount of time in the box and subject them to the least amount of shock.
“I drop off right before the last express pickup at 7pm and it usually gets there before 10:30am the following morning.”
“I've started having corals dropped off at a FedEx location. They arrive sooner in the morning since I'm eliminating the delivery person (that delivers to my door). This way it's far less likely to get my address wrong. I think that's a good tip for those buying online.”

“A lot will depend upon temperature consistency... I've had SPS do fine at 48 hours and then I've had them ship like crap in less than 12... SPS don't like excessive heat”

To keep costs down:
For me:
...use the smallest possible box.
…use a Fedex Location or commercial destination address as often as possible. The rates to commercially zoned addresses are a lot cheaper than to residential. If that different than a FedEx location?
…Common sense stuff like drop them off close to the pickup time, not at 8 AM on your way to work. All this can help the animals arrive healthy and safe. Remember too...Airplane cargo bays and UPS warehouses are not heated or air conditioned, and the temperature in a brown UPS truck can exceed 110 degrees on a 90 degree day. Even a white FedEx truck will get pretty dang hot on a warm day...don't assume just because the high is 85 that they'll be ok without a cool pack.

Finally, sign up for your own FedEx/UPS account, and print the label and drop it off at a drop off location. UPS stores and FedEx Kinkos mark up their prices significantly from what you would get charged with your own account. You'll also usually have to pay a $5 pickup charge. If you want to make your overnight shipment as cheap as possible...follow these steps:
1.) Use your own account
2.) Make the box as small as reasonably possible, cut it down if necessary.
3.) Ship to a commercial (business) address when possible
4.) Drop off the box as a drop off location (Is this a box or a store?)

Dave & Monica is offline   Reply With Quote