View Single Post
Unread 02/04/2010, 08:30 PM   #44
Untamed12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post

Vlamingis over a foot in a year. I hope not!! That would be way to big. From my experience with other large fish such as sharks, the enviornment has a bit to do with the size potential of the fish.. I will admit that these are my first vlamingis so I dont really have any experience with them. My hope would be that the tank will help to keep them from growing too big to fast. Granted my tank is big by most standards but its not like they have a whole reef to them selves. The tank they came out of had them in it for a year or so and they didnt grow that much in that system but it was a much smaller footprint too.

I got the Vlamingis about a month ago. They certainly do have personality. They are very sociable. They will follow you around the tank and love to be hand fed. Then again, most of my other fish will follow you around too. In the system they came out of, they would come to the surface and let you pet them!
If that is true, your vlamingis may have been slightly growth stunted in their previous tank because they will easily achieve 1 foot in less than a year. Mine might be 16" or more now and he is at 2 years.

While they all get called "unicorn fishes", that third one doesn't look like N. unicornis (Blue Spine Unicorn). I don't know quite what that third one is, but it will also get LARGE.

Current Tank Info: 400gal Envision Acrylic reef started 04/07
Untamed12 is offline   Reply With Quote