Thread: Freshwater Sump
View Single Post
Unread 12/06/2017, 12:31 PM   #24
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
I'm not sure why you wouldn't use a sump for a freshwater tank, especially if it is a larger system. Many of the same reasons we use them for marine systems carry over directly - heaters/pumps/filtration out of sight, increased water volume for greater stability, ease of water changes, stable water level in DT, etc. I've only kept one freshwater system since I started keeping marine tanks some 30 years ago, and I didn't even consider NOT having a sump.

Besides - what else do you have planned for all that space underneath???
This is a good indicator of the difference between fresh and salt water aquarists. The majority of the freshwater tanks I've kept have two or more aquaria in the same stand. Even with my decreased number of tanks I currently run, I still have:
1) Two 125-gal. tanks, on one stand, one with Africans and one which will hold fancy goldfish;
2) Two 75-gal. tanks, on one stand, Africans and albino bristlenose plecos
3) A 75-gal planted tank and a 40-gal. long on one stand, for breeding livebearers and plecos;
4) A battery of four 38-gal. tanks on one stand for growing out fry, breeding angelfish, etc.
5) Two 38-gal tanks on one stand for the breeding of (freshwater) angelfish.

Sumps are completely unnecessary for freshwater. Sumps did not even exist until reef tanks made them necessary.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote