View Single Post
Unread 05/19/2017, 06:39 PM   #344
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by msderganc View Post
Thanks - I appreciate it. Part of the reason for the wait was that I had originally ordered the DC150, which had been out of stock. Yes, they are definitely scrapes on the outside back of the main skimmer body, behind the pump.

I checked the bubble plate, it is centered. I will loosen the baseplate screws a bit to see if that helps. Have you tried putting something like a piece of super thin latex or silicone? in between the pump baseplate and the skimmer base?

Otherwise I'll wait for it to break in and see if that helps.

Very strange that the body has a scratch on it. The skimmers are shipped in those nice cloth bags for to prevent scratches from the packaging. Where did you order this skimmer from? I wonder if it was handled before being shipped to you? Interestingly, the Double Cone 150's arrived at our facility in Ft. Myers at the same time as the Mini 160's so both should have been available at the same time which was a few weeks ago.

I have not tried putting latex or silicone between the base and the pump but like I said, mine quieted down after a week or two. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything to try it but depending on what you use, it may raise the pump ever so slightly and then the nozzle may not aling with the pump where it goes through the body. It's already a tight fit there to prevent water from coming out of the body between the nozzle and body. Once the pump and skimmer break in, the resonance that you hear should dissipate but if you do experiment, please let me know what your results are.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote