View Single Post
Unread 08/14/2006, 02:47 PM   #22
steveweast
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JHemdal
I gave a talk on temperate marines at MACNA last year - I must say that there was very little interest in the topic.

Typical conversation, Aquarist: "Oh - I see you are speaking here, whats your topic?" Me: "Temperate Marine Aquariums". Aquarist: "Anything about mini-reefs?, I just set up a 100 gallon reef" Me: "No, sorry". And then they would just sort of wander away...

I bet there was less than 50 people in the audience.

Jay Hemdal

That's because most folks are under the misconception that cold water systems are dull, brown, and lifeless....with a lobster tank being the zenith. We cold water keepers know that couldn't be farther from the truth......and that, cold water, is far easier, cheaper, as diverse, and possibly even more colorful than its warm water sps rival. Word is getting out.....but obtaining stock is still a limiting factor unless you're near the coast. But....it's changing.......several folks are setting up a cold tank around here. Most have just not been exposed to the possibilities and opportunities that come with a temperate system.

steveweast is offline   Reply With Quote