View Single Post
Unread 09/08/2016, 04:35 AM   #87
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Yesterday (9/7/16) I got the old 1hp AquaEuro chiller that is out behind the house in a plastic storage cabinet hook up to the new system. I have not pressurized it yet as I'd like to give the pvc cement time to cure and I want to be fully awake (this morning) when I start flowing water. It's not like I really need the chiller since I switched from MH & t5 to leds, but I already have the chiller housed outside and there are already holes through the block wall for pipes fron the aquarium to the chiller and back, so I might as well use it. Besides, we keep our house at 80F in the summer so it doesn't take much extra heat in the tank to push it higher than I'd like. Currently, without the chiller the tank is running at 81.1F, so 1 degree above room temp. I'd consider selling the chiller, but it's already 6 years old and even though I've had no issues with it, I think it would be hard to sell at a reasonable price.

OK, so lets do some new pics:

Here is the plumbing that runs between the sump and the wall. Most of it will be behind the 36" cabinet for the display refugium. And I intend to take some white pvc boards and box in the pipes at the far right end. The gap between the new cabinet and the outside wall will only be a couple of feet or less, so I may utilize the space by building a set of shelves on top of the boxed in pipes an between the cabinet and the wall.

The pipes go out through the wall here. I made the holes oversized and then put 1 1/2" pvc pipe 'liners' in the hole so the real pipes carrying water don't rub on the rough concrete inside the holes. The pvc box I'll build will come up the wall and hide all of this plumbing.

This is the plumbing from the outside of the house running through the lanai screen and over to the chiller in the cabinet. I still have some sealing to do around the holes in the wall and there are white escutcheon plates to finish it off. BTW, Elaine made a cover for the cabinet from sunbrella material to protect the chiller even better from the rain and the plastic cabinet from the sun (even though it sits on the north wall and is in the shade 100% of the time). Both ends of the cabinet are open and the intake side of the chiller is ducted so it takes in air from outside the cabinet for improved cooling rather than using the hotter air from inside.

The new 36" 2 door kitchen cabinet arrived yesterday along with the new cabinets for bot bathrooms. I'll have enough work to keep me busy till Thanksgiving! The cabinet will house the 10 gallon auto top-off reservoir, the dosing pumps and their reservoirs. The 2'x2'x20" display refugium I'm going to build will sit on top of it. I have a brushed stainless steel kick plate for under the cabinet which will match the kitchen. But I think I'm going to make a new one out of a white pvc board to make it look more compatible with the CadLight aquarium stand.