View Single Post
Unread 03/04/2009, 02:40 PM   #186
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rfd515
Looks great.

I may have missed it, but can you elaborate on what you used and how you made the pipe for pendant? I'm working on a tank for my son's room and what you made looks perfect.

Thanks,
-Bob
Thanks.

I used 3/4" EMT Conduit, and the appropriate conduit bender.

Here is a picture of what the bender looks like. I was able to borrow one, but Lowes or Home Depot sells them somewhere in the ballpark of $30 - $50. However, any electrician should have one.

To make the rack, it was just a lot of trial and error, running up and down the stairs to test fit where I was making the bends (it definitely was more of a guess than exact measurements), and making the bends slow. In order to get a nice 90 degree bend without pinching the conduit you need to gradually walk the bender back as you bend the pipe. The second bend was particularly difficult to make. I had to park my car on the pipe (the end I wasn't bending) so it would stay put and not keep flipping up as I tried to bend the pipe.

When I started, I took a small piece of scrap conduit, slid the bender on, and just bent it back to 90 without walking it back to see what would happen. It basically crushes the pipe where the bend is made.

Like I said, it's trial and error.