View Single Post
Unread 04/04/2016, 08:38 PM   #122
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde1500 View Post
Wow so the tank's return and drain can be dialed in at the overflow? And there is a high and low return for two areas of flow. That seems pretty cool, look forward to a review on how it works!
I'm really not sure how it works yet. That review looked like it showed some kind of electronic gizmo for dialing in the return flow but there isn't anything like that included. But I got the Vectra pump for that. But yes, the drain flow can be dialed in at the overflow, so no gate valve is needed on the drain line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeller_nc View Post
Curious, Dennis - Roughly how much does that tank weigh - so how many friends did you have to bribe with beer to get it inside?

I found the write-up on that other site about the Elos Quiet Drain interesting - it would seem to be a "variable BeAn Animal" in that it will work as either a normal overflow or a full siphon overflow depending on how much water's pushed through it.

I do find the claim about not using in-tank circulation and relying on a high flow from the return pump amusing. I suppose that'd be OK for a softie tank; perhaps the Elos folks have never seen the tsunami that most SPS keepers run through their tanks. In just my little 50g cube, the 4 vortechs a capable of 6000 gph, and typically run at 70% of the max, so 4200 gph.
haha, yeah i thought pretty much the same thing. No way. I still have my Tunze 6105 and might pick up another tunze. I can put these on the back wall and direct flow where I want, keeping them a little more hidden than Vortechs on the sides I think. Not 100% sure yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMclowns View Post
Beautiful, did you get the Absolute metal stand or the regular stand?
I did not get the metal stand. Much too much money. My stand looks like this...

BTW, speaking of stands, one thing I was kind of shocked about is NEITHER stand option has a bottom! Your sump would sit directly on the floor! Ok I guess if you have tile but I have wood floors. We mentioned it to Nicola at Elos and he said they do it that way to keep vibrations from the sump transmitting through the stand and being amplified. Everything about the Elos is supposed to be quiet. He said he would build me something and what I appear to have gotten is two pieces of white board with big black rubber feet. Nice, but still not quite what I had in mind. I'll be looking at making an acrylic tray or something. I want spills contained. Anyway, something for people to keep in mind if thinking of buying one.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote