View Single Post
Unread 08/14/2016, 03:46 PM   #85
Nano sapiens
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2OCulture View Post
I'll bite. "Natural filtration" a.k.a. cultivating organisms for nutrient export, has always been a sub-set of reefing, and has its origins in the planted aquarium world. (hi-tech planted aquariums are nearly as extensive as reefs.) However, the examples of "natural filtration" that usually furnish the conversation are larger aquariums which have been established for many years. It's true that many large, old, successful aquariums run with little to no protein skimming, but that's because they are large, and established. Our water to bioload volumes are so astronomical compared to the natural reef that anyone who attempts to start an aquarium on "natural" techniques alone is more than likely doomed to disappointment. We need the "hi-tech" mechanical and chemical filtration because our bio loads for a given water volume ratio is so high.
^^ Unfortunately, this is a common misconception stated by various individuals and groups within this hobby. My old medium sized 55g ran without any mechanical/chemical filtration (just Live rock and live sand) for 9+ years before I downsized to a small 12g...which is fully stocked and has been running for over 8 years using the same 'natural filtration' methodology.

In the 'nano' reef tank world, there are examples of relatively large biomass to what most would consider tiny volumes of water using 'natural filtration' methods (only live rock and live sand) that have run for many, many years. As with most reef systems (but especially important for these small tanks), some hobbyist intervention is required via regular water changes and detritus removal if one wants the system to be at it's best.

Last edited by Nano sapiens; 08/14/2016 at 04:17 PM.
Nano sapiens is offline   Reply With Quote