View Single Post
Unread 11/16/2018, 02:12 PM   #1
Stickgal
Registered Member

Sorry for another cycling question

Group: Member
I have a 45g (24" tall) that will house 3 female seahorses, which I am planning to purchase from seahorsesource. I
have about an inch to inch and a half of live sand and about 15 pounds of live rock. My tank gas been up and running about a month and I used flake food and one
thawed frozen shrimp to start the cycle. I tested the following today.
Ammonia=0
ph=8.2
nitrites=0
nitrates=between 20-40
I did a 10g water change yesterday. I do have pics and ghost flatworms in the tank, so I know something is happening.
I plan to add macroalgae and a few plants for hitching, as well as a few nonstinging softies. My clean up crew will be pulled from
you guys' selection list, all
at zero danger
to the horses. I may add a yellow watchman goby, one peppermint
shrimp (one piece of my live rock came with some small aptasias), and am thinking of a couple of pajama cardinals.
Ok, so I'm getting to the question��. I'm not a complete novice, as I have had fresh and saltwater tanks in the last few years.
I tested my water every couple of days for the past couple of weeks and never had the ammonia spike everyone says should come. My plan was to do a large water change in
a few days and retest the nitrates to make sure the tank has really cycled. Is that a good plan? My seahorses aren't going to be added until the first of the year, but I'm tired of looking
at just rocks. Thought after the big water change, I might start adding the macroalgae and then, slowly, the cleanup crew.
Thoughts?

Current Tank Info: 45g, currently cycling. Plan is mixed reef.
Stickgal is offline   Reply With Quote