View Single Post
Unread 07/23/2019, 09:32 PM   #3284
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Alex, Matt, Kevin (if memory serves- man it’s been a while!) thanks!
Keep in mind that the pics on this page were shot under blue LEDs with Polyp Lab lens. They are not full spectrum pics like the last page.

Hey Wally, thanks! yeah, I have definitely shifted to blue.. I don’t even use any coral plus bulbs anymore..
2 Reefbrite xho, 4 blue plus, two actinic and my 8 AI primes run mostly blue with whites around 3 percent and red/green around 10 percent- only for mid day lighting. Otherwise all blue. . I find it quite blue but the corals pop like nobody’s business! I do love it.
And by keeping the tank this way, I’m not disappointed when I bring corals home from the shop. They look the same.
I’ll definitely get in touch in the fall.
Matt,
You've probably played a lot to arrive at your Favorite Blue Lighting Setup.

I too started with Coral Plus in my DIY Fixture using HEP Ballasts (same at in ATI fixtures).
However when it came time to replace my T5's I dropped the two Coral Plus Bulbs, and went with One Atinic and a Purple Plus.

Even PurplePlus can be overwhelming at full power and in Low Ratio to other bulbs....., but since 2 of my 3 of my Ballast are dimmable HEPS. I found that Dim Blending the (Atinic/Purple Plus) works really good with the Blue Plus in the other positions. (Makes your Eyes Pop, when looking at Coral Pop...Fish Pop Too!!).

This is my current Lighting Setup.

I had a dimmable Single T5 in the middle, but removed it, to turn my fixture into a LED hybrid (using a hand me down OLD Radion XR30 G1), and modded it with a Frosted Acrlic plate for (Diffuser). All blue LED, with a (Touch or white/red/green at certain times of day).

Also the FRONT Blue LED strip (similar to a Orphek wit Lenses), but much Cheaper really Makes Nightly Viewing a Fireworks show.
Like this one, (but all Blue)
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/54w-81w-108w...Zg4WfO8XbKOrbQ
and I replaced the Static Power Supply with a Dimmable Current Driver that I control with Apex VDM.

Overall, my eyes are Really happy. Long term will tell if Corals will like it.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Mixed Tank (T5,Kessil), 110G Custom In-Wall Office Tank (SPS only: T5 DIY Dimmable, Blue LED Strip, EuroReef Skimmer, DIY Doser, Gyre/Hydor Circ, DC Waveline 10,000 Return, Total Automation [Dual Tank SUMP ROOM] )
Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote