View Single Post
Unread 12/29/2013, 10:11 AM   #21
CalmSeasQuest
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
Looks good Tom. Who is building the tank and why only 1/2" glass? Every glass tank builder I spoke with about doing an 8ft tank wouldn't use anything less than 3/4".
Thanks Steve - I was also initially concerned about the 1/2" Starphire, but a few factors "tempered" those concerns...
  • GLA has been in business a very long time and I looked closely at Steve's build quality and seams. I was very impressed.
  • In my research, I was unable to find any reference to a large GLA tank failing.
  • The tank is not rimless, rather it is fitted with a top frame. I had Steve upgrade the cross braces to acrylic to remove any shadowing concerns (especially with the Kessils.)
  • This build is only 22" high, so it's under far less stress than a typical 320 build.
  • Steve does extensive internal glass bracing along the bottom of the tank.
The fact they are building the tank, sump and stand and delivering/placing all was also a comfort.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Current Tank Info: 96X30" 270Gal, Kessil 360WEs, BK250 Double Cone, 400 gal ASW station with continuous water change
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote