View Single Post
Unread 11/13/2018, 05:36 PM   #6
xsentrixsupra
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachVacationer View Post
I have the spec 16 (same as Evo 13 except 2 inches taller) and had spec 5 for years. I didn't upgrade my filter section with media baskets. I did upgrade the return pumps to move more water. In my view, live rock in the display is all you need for the nitrogen cycle. So I view the back chambers for mechanical and chemical filtration. I've found a big chunk of sponge catches lots of particulates and keep the display clear. I also use a skimmer to reduce WC to once a month. And I use carbon and phosphate reducing filter pads that I replace monthly. My filter sponge takes up about half of the space of one of my back chamber. I pull that out every 2 weeks and rinse that out using my bigger tank's salt water. I'm amazed at how much crap is caught by the sponge. When I look at the small piece of sponge used in the above referenced media basket, I just don't think that's enough. Just my 2¢
What pumps did you upgrade to?

I went to my LFS and they said it was not necessary for what I was running to change filtration unless I really wanted to. I did have an old powerhead though that I installed to help with eliminating any dead spots and hopefully keep things moving better!

xsentrixsupra is offline   Reply With Quote