View Single Post
Unread 03/20/2018, 10:01 AM   #2
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boochika View Post
Ok so I started building my stand for my 80 gallon tank and I have a few curiosities about trying to make it as bullet proof as possible:

1. Should I seal the inside of the stand? I haven't seen a lot of people with the inside of the tank unsealed and raw wood and I wasn't sure why, is there an issue with contamination of the sump with water from condensation dripping back down if there is sealant on the top surface of the inside and support beams? I've also seen people with the inside top surface of their stands totally rotting and I don't want that either. You can seal the bottom of the stand. This will prevent water that spills over during cleaning from soaking into the wood. As for the top and beams above the sump level, there is really no point. Those shouldn't get wet much less soaked to the point they rot years later.

2. Venting; should I cut some vent holes in the top of the stand around the tank (i have some extra room around the tank where i could make some openings) or slots) or should I leave an open slot at the back of the tank? I was just concerned about moisture getting trapped inside stand and then against wall that could rot out either. Do you mean the top of your stand has a full sheet of plywood which the tank is going to rest on? Or is the stand width/length larger than the footprint of the tank? I still wouldn't put holes between the plywood under the base of the tank.

3. A lot of people have told me to put Styrofoam or something similar under the tank to help distribute the load of the tank evenly when setting it up, has anyone done this and what thickness Styrofoam? I'm a little nervous to do so because I feel like the padding underneath the tank could put unnecessary upward pressure on the glass and overstress it. Lots of folks have used Styrofoam but it is not entirely necessary. As long as the frame and top plywood is level and equal in height it will be fine. The tank is designed to be supported by its frame sitting on a flat surface.

I know kind of long but just some questions I have thanks for any responses