View Single Post
Unread 08/12/2017, 06:20 PM   #6
Valentini89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakymcmurdo View Post
Scientific names make me happy. I'm new to saltwater but have been doing native US fish for 12 years. Do you know how many common names some fish have?! And some completely different species are known by the same common name. So when asking questions about them it's actually easier to refer to them in Latin so nobody is confused about wether you're trying to house a 3" fish or a 3' fish.

The puffer will eventually eat all your snails and hermit crabs, I guess it depends on how much you like having them as a clean up crew and if you are somewhere they can be easily replaced. I would avoid anything you aren't sure you can feed long-term.
I have a pair of valentini puffers in a 26 g with an emerald crab and some snails and they leave them alone. They would eat the snails if they were big enough or if the snails were small enough, but valentinis simply don't get big enough. I highly recommend this fish. They are so awesome to watch. I enjoy watching them sleep even, because their fins keep moving and they sleep in such a weird way. I also have an anthia, a pair of clowns, and a firefish in the tank. Just to give you an idea, the puffers get along great with everyone and despite having been told valentinis are not supposed to be kept together, I have had no problems with mine.

Current Tank Info: 26g bowfront QT tank, -- 150g tall = http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671045

Last edited by Valentini89; 08/12/2017 at 06:27 PM.
Valentini89 is offline   Reply With Quote