View Single Post
Unread 08/23/2017, 09:40 AM   #23
scuzy
Registered Member

Classic vs 2016 Neptune apex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ughb0y View Post
I don't know if op got a controller yet or not, but if you only want the essentials, the classic works just fine and is all you will need. Of course if you "want" the new one, then that's another story and by all means you should get the new one.

the only thing you will really need as far as sensor is a temp and ph probe. The others, novelty will wear out eventually. Also search for conductivity probe issues, you will get tons of result. If you don't have wired Ethernet near your tank, you can now get a WiFi ap/repeater device for $10 or less. The amp/current monitor on the classic, let's just say, is not accurate, perhaps due to AC load power factor. Not sure if it is the same for the new individual outlet monitor, but I would not be surprised if it is. A simple device like kill-a-watt is able to get the real power usage and the VA power usage, but yet the apex cannot.

Most devices now like pumps and lights use their own controller so there is less use for the controller outlets so 8 outlets will be plenty.

You missed the point where you can now program logic into the monitoring socket draw. Like if socket 1 is drawing < 25 watts turn this off or email alert. I had a socket turned auto on but the pump is actually dead you can't test itfit that without without adding extra switches.

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote