View Single Post
Unread 05/11/2014, 10:33 PM   #236
Joel_155
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
I'll take some more pics.

The T fittings is a graduated overflow inlet. I had originally planned for a beananimal overflow but the surge volume makes it worthless. The surge itself is silent, but the overflow surges and gurgles with bubbles into the sump.

So, the T connectors are actually at slightly different heights. As the surge initiates, they start to incrementally pick up the surge flow until the surge submerges them all. I think the gradual pickup of surge volume into the drains reduces the bubbles and noise significantly.

Maybe it acts as a muffler? Maybe it really helps re divert the flow into more inlets? I just know it works.
This is pretty cool. The biggest issue with surge devices is how they cause fluctuations in the water level of the sump throwing all kinds of issues into the filtration systems and you pretty much solved it. The line of T fittings creates a secondary overflow ( within the overflow ) and diverted it to a seperate section of the sump. This way it doesn't interfere with the normal water flow through the sump. Very cool.

Joel_155 is offline   Reply With Quote