View Single Post
Unread 12/08/2017, 04:56 PM   #1
Dugless
Registered Member

The Mammoth Nano - An acropora reef

This is my very first build thread. I’ve been getting weird looks from friends and family when I try to show pics and talk coral, so I thought I would give this kind of thing a try.

Experience
I’ve been keeping a reef aquarium long enough to have experience with air stone protein skimmers and old tech lighting that sat atop glass covers. As the natural progression goes, my reefing history worked its way from small 29 gal aquariums to my most recent 250 gal SPS dominant reef. Most people talk and dream of the next big tank, always adding a couple hundred gallons each upgrade. Instead I find myself talking more about changing the bits of my setup that bothered me and could use improvement.

Goals
For this build I know I want to focus almost, if not entirely, on Acropora. The color shifts and care needed to grow these underwater gardens successfully has always fascinated me. In my opinion, every other coral just seems to lack the breadth of interactive responsiveness that acros do.

I also know I want high quality equipment that makes success easier and looks clean enough to display in my living space. I’m a bit OCD and I hope to invest in a setup that will give me many years of service. The old adage of buy once and not many times over still holds true for me.

Having recently moved halfway across the country to chase a girl, I left my hometown of 30+ years and now reside in the Pacific NW. Because of this, I am planning this build to be easily (if that’s possible) relocated if need be. I am a planner, so it definitely makes life interesting not knowing what the next few years have in store. So instead, I plan for the unknown.

Aquarium
For the first time in my life I find myself outside of a personal home. This is a large contributing factor to the downsize to a smaller aquarium. I wanted something large enough for 1 or 2 bigger fishes and enough real estate for plenty of coral. My previous Deep Dimension sold me on a tank that has a large footprint, I don’t think I could ever go back to something narrow. I also wanted something shorter as it makes for easier maintenance and lighting. I decided on a custom 42”L x 30”W x 19”H, and this is roughly 90 gallons.

I look forward to sharing my new reef experience with you. Hopefully a successful one!

Last edited by Dugless; 12/14/2017 at 11:32 AM.
Dugless is offline   Reply With Quote