View Single Post
Unread 09/19/2018, 08:14 AM   #4
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover88 View Post
You are golden, don't worry about the DT. Just pretend you don't have sump anymore

The issue would be is the sump-water is 'stagnant'. And if its anything like my sump, its probably dirty as sin.

You might want to do a water change of whats in the sump out, or at least dilute it, before recirculating it up into the tank again. Unless you also have powerheads in the sump or something keeping it moving.
Thank y'all for the reassurance. I'll make sure I keep the tank topped off with fresh water so the salinity holds.

Yeah, my sump isn't terrible being 6 months old...other than of course the skimmer flooded and I did have some cyano I've been trying to rid it of.

Fortunately, I checked it all this morning. Both heaters were originally in the sump and temp had dropped to 75 degrees in the DT. I may keep one in the DT from now on in case this ever happens again.

I'll definitely use the time to clean the sump as well, esp if the soak doesn't help after 8 hours. I'll need to make sure it's reheated and close in salinity before recirculating. May just do a water change on it as you suggest so I can clean it out some. I do have a small powerhead in it that's running to keep it from being stagnant and to keep a little flow on the cheato.

This will also be a good time to hardline my return. I ordered a DCP13000 which has pvc union/fitting compatibility (supposedly their newer model, which also prevents motor burn out due to blockage...supposedly). I've been using a 1" vinyl tube which is due for replacement thanks to the fact it doesn't block light Started with that because I wasn't sure how much else I'd want to add later, so the new hardline will have at least 1 T on it and a couple of unions so it's future proof. Was planning to do this all this weekend, but Murphy decided to crop up last night instead.

Thornbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote