View Single Post
Unread 03/21/2012, 12:27 PM   #332
MammothReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleon View Post
If I'm so high and mighty and dismissing peons why would I BLOG about a stupid mistake I made? On a major reef blog, Huh?

The tank was thriving, you've got the videos to prove it, I made a dumb mistake from panicking, I shamelessly told the world about it, and there you have it. Nothing more.

I was a professional aquarist at a public aquarium before I decided to go to grad school. I've been keeping SPS since 1999. I've bred jellyfish, cuttlefish, seahorses, etc. professionally. I'm one of three people in the world that could keep man o war alive in captivity. I maintained collection permits for rescue corals in the Florida Keys. I'm one of the few people in the world that has grown atlantic Acroporids in captivity. I know what the hell I'm doing, and even people that know what they are doing make mistakes.
I'm not going to get dragged into a flame war with you Chris. We all make mistakes, and we've all done great things. However the sum of the experience of a community is greater then any individuals experience. There is a huge difference between a large public aquarium, and a small home aquarium. We may not have chosen marine biology as our primary occupation, but that doesn't make us any less capable, or less intelligent.

The members of this community are OBSESSED with their tanks. They spend countless hours researching every little advancement and change in the hobby, understanding every little detail, and have painstakingly experiment time and time in their own little private laboratories, on their own dollar.

I'm not trying to dismiss your accomplishments, (Well accept maybe the seahorse thing as mom was able to do that to with no salt water experience at all ) All I'm saying is maybe some of the people who are privately funding there own tanks, and have had up and running systems constantly for years and years on end. May just be on to something.

Take it as you may.

Current Tank Info: 105 Peninsula
MammothReefer is offline   Reply With Quote