Thread: gone solar
View Single Post
Unread 08/23/2008, 11:22 AM   #7
hobogato
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sjfishguy
Interesting, how do you know it is going to be enough light? What happens if it isn't? Would you put the halides back in? How did you decide to change over? I am not being critical, I am genuinely interested about your thought process of the whole thing. I really like the idea, I hope it works.
the tubes i put in are 14", and they bring in as much light as my halides produced starting at around 11 am. the light continues to increase until about 2pm and then starts to decrease. it is as intense as my halides were until about 5pm. i was running a 7 hour photo period before, so the photo period now is a bit shorter, but much more intense for about 3 hours in the middle of the day.

Quote:
Originally posted by serpentman
Wow, very impressive....and very green. Aren't you going to miss the high electric bill? Wish that was an option for me. Here in NE Ohio the sun only shines 3 months a year

I would bet you will see significant growth from the change. Keep us posted.
just got the first electricity bill - looks like the change will save about $150 a month i didnt think it was an option for me for a long time, since we have a two story house and the tank is on the bottom floor. when i really started looking into it, i realized we would only lose about 15" of closet space up stairs, and i wouldnt have to cut any floor/ceiling joist or rafters, it was a go.

hobogato is offline   Reply With Quote