View Single Post
Unread 04/13/2014, 12:05 PM   #1
Reefer54
Registered Member

This literature is highly reccomended

I have not seen a thread devoted to the literature which many have spent years of time, energy, and effort acquiring. I personally recommend to all new hobbyists that a few dollars spent on quality literature put together by proven authors who also play a part in the industry far surpasses the money they may spend learning through trial and error and of course, will help as a direct on hand source for information to the questions so often answered here with statements that have huge variance and application.

So for the new to very experienced hobbyists out there. I, with your help, would like to compile a list of literature and authors that we can use to promote the better keeping of our reef inhabitants.

I personally am looking for a Acro specific book for identification and care requirements as i further my knowledge and practice in keeping these, i find that there are so many i can not identify yet and such, can not be certain what the unique requirements for each are.

so to start it off, i recommend all hobbyists invest in a few books and will follow with more specific books pertaining to coral, algae, and would like people to add with: Category, Title, Author, a brief synapsis, and demographic

BEGINNER TO ADVANCED:

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist (Microcosm/T.F.H. Professional) Hardcover
by Robert M. Fenner
--a great read for the beginner to advanced aquarist. from setup to keeping more specifc biotopes, it is a great reference for water, light, husbandry adn general knowledge.

Natural Reef Aquariums: Simplified Approaches to Creating Living Saltwater Microcosms by John H. Tullock and Jr. Martin A. Moe (Jan 1997)
--a great basis for foundation of how to go about your first tank or 20th tank.

Invertebrates: A Quick Reference Guide (Oceanographic Series) by Julian Sprung (Jun 2001)
--a fantastic resource for identification and care requirements as well as husbandry and

Reef Invertebrates: An Essential Guide to Selection, Care and Compatibility by Anthony Calfo and Robert Fenner (Jun 2003)
--a bit more advanced and specific for care and husbandry

The Reef Aquarium, Vol. 3: Science, Art, and Technology by Julian Sprung and J. Charles Delbeek (Nov 25, 2005)
--any of the volumes of this book is going to be a GREAT resource.

CORAL:

Book of Coral Propagation, Volume 1 Edition 2: Reef Gardening for Aquarists by Anthony Calfo, Christine Williams and Anthony Calfo and Christine Williams (Nov 1, 2007)
--more advanced topics specific to propogation

Corals: A Quick Reference Guide (Oceanographic Series) by Julian Sprung (Sep 1999
--phenomenal pictures and categorical information from taxonomy to care in the home. a bit advanced for biginners, but a great reference for furthering your hobby education

Aquarium Corals : Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History by Eric H. Borneman, Scott W. Michael and Janine Cairns-Michael (Mar 2001)
----phenomenal pictures and categorical information from taxonomy to care in the home. a bit advanced for biginners, but a great reference for furthering your hobby education

CLAMS:

Giant Clams in the Sea and the Aquarium by James W. Fatherree (Sep 21, 2006)
--One of the only extremely specific Clam books from the wild to the aquarium. TONS of information.

ALGAE:

Algae: A Problem Solver Guide (Oceanographic Series) by Julian Sprung (Jun 25, 2002)
--great for identification and procedural methods to irradicating nuisance algae and keeping desired algae, including natural predation methods.
advanced.

PERIODICALS:

And related, though not the same, I strongly urge many hobbyists to subscribe to periodicals as the information in those is extremely diverse and often subscriptions help to promote the protection, care, and development of our oceans and reefs as well as keep our hobby lessening on the impact thereof.

So please add periodicals, and just to mention as it is awesome, many periodicals now offer online subscriptions and online access to past issues.

CORAL MAG
ADVANCED AQUARIST

These are just some of the books i have compiled at home, there are others. I personally am bias to buy and read books by some authors who have proven long term success and have played integral roles in the furthering of our hobby (IMO). But i will not name names, as there are many i have not mentioned that also deserve merit and acknowledgment.

Good luck, Have fun, Research first

Current Tank Info: 36 x 36 x 25 Cube, mixed reef, A360WE x 3, A350N x 1, 40GB sump, RDSB, Remote LR Cryptic, 2 WP-40's, ummm....
Reefer54 is offline   Reply With Quote