View Single Post
Unread 03/23/2011, 08:38 PM   #1
fowldave
Registered Member

Exclamation confirming black ich, pictures attached

Earlier in the week I posted a question about my powder brown's gill area being a bit too red, but it didn't seem to be a serious threat. After a few days in QT tank he has been doing well and still is, until I inspected him really closely today under bright light and noticed black spots all over his body. I suspect it is black ich from the research I've done. Can anyone out there with experience with this disease confirm?

Also what is the best way to get rid of it because not as much literature as I was hoping would be out there on curing it, I guess its a lot rarer?
I have been reading that a freshwater/formalin combo bath for 15-30 (depending on stress level of fish) is the way to go. I have "Quick Cure" on hand, which is a 37% formadehide and 40% malachite green combination. Would this be safe to use on my powder brown tang?
Also do I treat the QT with anything? Doesn't seem like it makes sense to freshwater/formalin dip him and then put him back into a QT that is infested.

If Quick Cure is good use, the instructions are for dosing in the tank, not doing quick dips. Does the concentration of the Quick Cure remain the same even though i'm just using it to do quick freshwater dips with?

Sorry about all the questions, but this is one of the nicest looking fish I have ever seen and would hate to lose him. I thank you for your help in advance!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tang black ich 1.jpg (36.1 KB, 1278 views)
File Type: jpg tang black ich 2.jpg (20.2 KB, 1157 views)
File Type: jpg tang black ich 3.jpg (23.2 KB, 1065 views)
File Type: jpg tang black ich closeup.jpg (22.4 KB, 1207 views)
fowldave is offline   Reply With Quote