View Single Post
Unread 07/12/2018, 02:27 AM   #1
Tastee
Registered Member

Coral stocking suggestions

Hi all, I have my first reef tank and are at the point where I want to start adding more corals. I have finished stocking all the fish I want and just added a BTA which is the last mobile animal I plan to add. Now for the sessile ones. I am not intending to be too ambitious and are happy to stick with robust simpler corals. I also have no real preference between softies, LPS or SPS - would like a bit of a mix I guess.

My tank is a Red Sea Reefer 250, lighting is a 3 cluster MaxSpect RAZR 420R running a cycle with max (running a cycle at max 50% both channels), flow comes from the Torque DCT-4000 return pump (running 100%) and a MaxSpect Glamorca-GP03 wave maker (running a cycle with max 50%). I run a skimmer, Marine Pure balls, Polyfilter and currently Phosguard in a media bag. I use Aquaforest Reef salt and component 1+2+3+ dosing daily via Apex DOS units. I am currently also dosing 0.5 ml Phos-Correx daily as I am trying to get GHA under control and phosphates to a level I am happy with. RODI water only. The tank is now 8 months old.

SG 1.024, Ca ~450, Mg 1400-1500, PO4 currently 0.06 ppm, Ph 8.4, kH 8.4-9.4, temp 25 (rising to max 26.7 in summer when my chiller kicks in). NO3 zero based on my API kit so likely actually a little higher (others tested with Red Sea kits and Apex). So not completely stable yet but getting there.

Fishies are a Yellow Tang, Clownfish pair, Fire Goby pair, Orchid Dottyback, Six Line Wrasse (peaceful so far!) and a Lawnmower Blennie. All getting on very well with each other.

Inverts are a Coral Banded Shrimp, Sand Sifter Starfish, Nassarius snail, Hermit Crab and 4 Trochus snails. Also a BTA which is now hosting the Clowns.

Corals are a Neon Green Sinularia which is currently the dominant specimen, a brain coral, a few purple Zooanthids (Purple People Eaters I think), a few mushrooms, a small colony of Xenia which came from the LR and two Fungias which also came from LR. I have a plate coral which is nearly dead as it did not survive the GHA outbreak and my young tank.

BTW if you can help me identify my existing corals more correctly I would love that.

Aquascaping and design is certainly not my forte. I am very practical and inventive but not creative. I would love to hear some suggestions as to what corals I could consider adding and where. Please also feel free to suggest any changes to the aquascape - as I said this is not my forte and I won’t take any offence!

Love to hear any thoughts the community has and thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Tastee; 07/12/2018 at 02:33 AM.
Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote