View Single Post
Unread 07/13/2018, 01:48 AM   #5
Tastee
Registered Member

Coral stocking suggestions

Thanks all.

~Uncle99, thanks for the SPS/LPS advice - sounds like a mix of softies, leathers and LPS would be a good option for me. Now I just need to figure out what is an LPS vs an SPS when I am in the LFS (-:

I’ll definitely take a look into Scolymias.

I am working on the GHA and it is slowly subsiding. My PO4 is currently 0.06-0.08 ppm and I am dosing 0.5 ml of Phos-Correx each night spread over several hours to help bring it down. When I started this the PO4 was > 0.16 ppm.

I am using a Red Sea Phosphate Pro test kit and strangely my tap water, my RODI water and my LFS’s RODI water all tests at 0.08 ppm. My RODI TDS meter shows 0. I don’t know if this is a test kit error or not. For now I’m sticking with the Phos-Correx daily for a few weeks to see how that helps. I am also running Phos-Guard in a media bag in the sump inlet but I am not sure it is doing much due to low flow. If I don’t think I’m making headway I will probably buy a Hanna Ultra Low Phosphorus checker and see what that tells me.

I don’t currently have a reactor and are a little pushed for space in the sump to fit one. I am thinking about changing my sump plumbing to hard plumbing, and if I do so I could hopefully fit a reactor and run it off the Chiller pump, and either run Phos-Guard or GFO in that as a longer term solution.

Here are some better pictures of the current corals. Please note these are a little older and GHA is nowhere as bad now. I assume that what I know as the Brain coral is the Favia. Interestingly I had to move it as the Torch started stinging it. I wasn’t thinking it could be aggresive itself. From a quick google search it looks like this is a Dragon Soul Favia. I certainly see it’s polyps extending well out every time I feed Mysis Shrimp. Within 10 mins it is filter feeding for all it is worth.

And the little Xenia colony that self-sowed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Tastee; 07/13/2018 at 01:59 AM.
Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote