View Single Post
Unread 02/07/2018, 09:06 AM   #10
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikluha View Post
What could explain the situation is that Iwaki is overkill for a given situation. For example, it may produce 100 GPM of water with 10 psi of pressure (approximately, 23 ft of head). And DC pump has 100 GPM with 4.5 psi (10 ft). Different output power.
If your head pressure is only 10ft, then Iwaki shoots water out with extra 10ft of head (neglecting friction losses). If you don't need that extra power, then BLDC pump is sufficient and Iwaki is overkill.

However, it has nothing to do with pump efficiency. It just show miscalculated pump power
BTW, I completely agree with this. I think in order to make a fairer comparison, one should be comparing to pumps designed to perform similar functions. So, pumps designed for flow rather than pressure. In the example from above, the PanWorld 50 comes in two models, a PX and a PXX. Both are essentially equivalent in terms of power but one flow much more water than the other. In most aquarium applications, the PXX will be viewed as much more efficient than the PX. So, I think it is much more about design and design goals than it is inherent AC/DC efficiency. Hells Bells!

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote