View Single Post
Unread 10/27/2017, 09:52 PM   #1
Esh1
Registered Member

Eric's 90gl Reef

I finally pulled the trigger and I am setting up another 90gallon. Once its up and running I plan to stock with SPS and everything else that will get along with it. Even though the tank is new, I've been around the hobby as far as I can remember. Growing up I went from freshwater to eventually a 90gallon FOWLR tank that I bought used through a newspaper ad. I had this tank up for about 4 years. When it came time for college I took the tank down, and sold everything but the stand. The stand, a custom cherry wood with lacquer stain, has stood the test of time. It's spent some time in the back of my parents unheated garage making it through about 4 WI winters. It got run into by a few cars and now has a few license plate scratches on the front door panel. It served as a bar during some parties, moved around with me throughout my active time in the military and eventually became a TV stand. 14 years and about 12 moves later, I'm finally settled and ready to start things up again.

I decided to setup another 90gallon in my office as a starting point, and found a 90reef ready Marine land tank from a local fish store. I thought about going larger, but couldn't find the right space for it and will wait till I finish the basement. With that said, the amount of changes I'm seeing in the hobby are amazing. Lots of great tech out there to make managing the tank so much easier. The amount of information online is great, but I'm glad I kept all the books about the hobby to see where things have changed.

Equipment
Water flow in the tank
-2x MP40s

Sump
-Lifereef CLF1 Berlin, signature series
-Mag12 pump
-Skimmer upgraded to a flanged SVS3, signature series
-Mag 9.5 pump
-3x Media Cylinders, sig series (still need to install, not sure if I'll need them all yet)
-2x 150w Eheim heaters (only 1 seems to be needed)
-Lifereef 10gallon refugium (still need to get a light for this)

Lighting
-2x Radion XR30 G4 Pro's

Control
-Reef Link
-Neptune Apex
-Neptune ATK

On Order
Lifereef LRC1 Calcium reactor, sig series. Hopefully this will be in by the end of the year
Seaswirl - I will be switching the overflow over to the herbie style overflow then plumbing the return line through this. This should be here in the next week or so.

All the pictures I have up so far can be found on my flikr album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm6UEJUo

Some of the pictures of the setup so far
Only shows 1 of the two lights, need to get an updated photo. The cabinet to the left houses all the electronics, plus a 5 gallon bucket for the ATO. Door will get added as soon as I get around to installing hindges. So far the tank is evaporating about 1.5-2 gallons a day, so I'll be upgrading to a larger size container.

Basement RODI station. BRS RODI unit with 2x 35gl water tanks that I picked up at a farmer supply store. I wanted larger standing tanks vs this style, but once I saw what shipping was, I went with what I could find locally.

Last, Tampa Bay Live rock order should be on the plane tomorrow AM and in the tank by the afternoon!

Thanks for looking!

Esh1 is offline   Reply With Quote