View Single Post
Unread 10/17/2017, 12:10 AM   #24
lingwendil
Man who sold the world

Location: Oakley, behind enemy lines in communist occupied California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegasman2000 View Post
Yeah after some (LOTS) CSS this could be a nice setup! I will dig through it and see if it a good base for what I want. Thanks for the link!

My plan is to use a esp8266 or the nicer esp32 to make the base controller. Perhaps with a slave esp on the lights and the main connected to a power bar. The esp32 would be better for this as it has bluetooth built in.

I wondered if you could emulate an apex and use their apps and web stuff...
Looks pretty good to me for sure, but I'm braindead with code so I can't comment on how well put together it is

I'm trying to learn as much as I can to put together a controller that will work for my pretty basic needs, although it's more complicated to implement them as I need them apparently.

If I knew what to do all at once, I would like the following features-

Cheap base hardware, I'm basing most of my efforts at the ~$5 Wemos Mini D1 type boards. Wifi onboard, and better processing power than the average Arduino specific boards in the same price range, while being compatible with the Arduino IDE. It also has native 10 bit PWM, which is nice if you only need 2-8 channels or so, which is realistically useful for the vast majority of applications.

Onboard Wifi to set and keep time. This would be a nice way to go, and I would preferably allow for a backup RTC. Simply turn on the controller, select the automatically generated access point it creates, log in to set your Wifi credentials, and go. Ideally it would then spool up an NTP request to set and sync the time, and would re-check every so often. It would be nice to replace the RTC with a bit of code!

2-8 channels of control, with 6 or more time slots. Ideally you would set these by logging into the unit via any internet browser, and set time slots and intensity via web form. It would be really nice to make this independent of apps and OS, so a simple interface such as those seen in old netgear routers would be awesome. Of course a pretty app can be figured out that will work too, but not really my priority.

Fan control seems a given, but having it track via temperature would be a nice feature, and is easy enough to do with a DS18B20 sensor. Alternatively, simply having the fan on/off at set times would work fine too.

All these features are implemented to some degree in many places and projects, it's just too much for me to figure out how to stitch them all together coherently enough to work in something. I'm a hardware guy, not a software guy!