View Single Post
Unread 07/19/2009, 07:15 PM   #7
jason2459
Registered Member

@ddinox64 Yep, the RUGF just seems more natural to me. I grew up and lived in the Keys for around 20 years or more. Reminds me of the everglades down there that is basically two really wide rivers that move really slowly below the ground push up through it. It even pushes water out into the ocean and bay side. I went searching for them and found one on both sides. Old sailors and pirates use to fill up with water when they found them. Manatee's love them as well.

The top frame slides off and also has hinges on top that I can lift up the top front part with out taking the entire thing off if I just need to get to the front.

Here's another picture after the flood clean up. The two parts separate.

[IMG]http://i29.*******.com/ja823c.jpg[/IMG]

@Rae: Thanks. It was a lot of work sanding that thing down. I really think its a really interesting cover. Don't think I've seen another one out there like it.

While cleaning the tank out I saw a tag on the edge of the tank saying it was made on February 22, 1980. So, I'm assuming that's about when the stand was made as well.

Not sure where my sister-in-law got it from but It's the perfect size for me I think. Feel bad she had to give it up because she was moving to someplace she couldn't have it. But it's really helped cure some homesickness.

BTW, the flood was more like a 1000 year flood. When we bought that house I looked at the flood plain map and made sure that the houses we were looking at were not even in the 500 year flood plain. No one expected the river to crest like it did and our neighborhood didn't even get an evacuation notice. We had enough time to pack our cars with a couple suit cases and get out of there.

500 year flood plain covered areas up to around 26' and it crested at close to 32 feet. The neighbor and I kayaked out to our homes and that's when we got that picture in the first post.

Needless to say we didn't have flood insurance...

I think the hardest thing to loose was the car in this picture:
[IMG]http://i27.*******.com/hweazd.jpg[/IMG]

My grandfather bought it brand new in 1967, Austin Healey Sprite. I had a lot of fun playing around with that car.

ddinox64, yep our house is now on a little hill on top of a little hill. The basement here is poured cement and never had water or humidity problems.

Here's a pic of the new house. Needed a lawn mowing here. I put in that fencing for our little pooch.

[IMG]http://i30.*******.com/35i4msg.jpg[/IMG]

Since moving in October of 2008, I've put up a new garage behind the garage that was already there but facing the back alley, replaced every window, put in a bathroom in the basement, put in a crafts room in the basement for the wife (not 100% done with that yet), put in a new kitchen cabinet, hood fan, and moved the oven over having to redirect the gas for that, put the baby's room together, landscaping, new fencing, grill patio area, and lots of painting. Been a little busy.

@Jerryvan: Paul really doesn't have to do to much convincing really. The results of an almost 40 year old tank kind of talks for itself. lol

BTW, the flood crested on Friday the 13th, 2008. The house was under water sometime on Thursday and still had water there because of pooling until at least the Wednesday of the next week when we were finally allowed back into the neighborhoods to look at things and we still had water over the basement level.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote